July 29, 2011

Ectoplasmic oooze



I can't say that I'm entirely sure if these latest creations are more diatom or radiolarian, zooplankton or phytoplankton. Without a doubt they are 100% found beach debris (99% plastic, 1% aluminum can) and an extremely satisfying continuation of my found beach plastic series.

Inspired by the drawings of scientific illustrator Ernst Haeckel, this series began because of an invitation fellow artist and marine debris connoisseur Laura Lynch and I had to show our work in conjunction with a screening of the film Waste Land at the Carsey Wolf Center at UCSB.

You should check out the film if you haven't seen it, and the Carsey Wolf Center (CWC) if you don't know what it is. They will be having more public events in their Pollock Theater and I have so enjoyed meeting and working with all the people that direct and run it: Richard Hutton, Constance Penley, LeeAnn French, Natalie Fawcett and Matt. 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! My mission this school year is to get you in to teach Anna's class. Do you ever sell these?

    ReplyDelete