January 24, 2012

Fantastic Plastic...


In these two months, we (that would be me wearing several different hats) are focusing on Plastic.  Specifically, plastic from the beach.

These little creatures were made for a mini exhibition at the Carsey Wolf Center at UCSB (check them out - they have great programming and they're super nice people) when they were showing the film Wasteland (also super super cool...check it out too!)

I've been so busy moving into my office and getting set up that I haven't had time to really get going in the studio. 
This series was inspired by the scientific illustrations of Ernst Haeckel and I plan to be making more, but more detailed...starting tomorrow.

I like the irony of the medium and the subject. It reminds me of loggers wives who painted pastoral scenes with deer grazing near tree stumps - on giant saw blades.


I'm aiming to do a series of plastic scrimshaw next.


No comments:

Post a Comment