January 4, 2012

The Upcycled beach plastic Duck 1


This is the beginning...or is it the end? Heck - I don't know.

I do know that it's supposed to be yellow.

In December I was hired by the Costal  Fund.  They are partnering with UCSB reads to promote a book called Moby Duck, and they have hired me to make a......drumroll please...

4 foot tall duck that looks like a rubber ducky bath toy that is made from ALL beach plastic. They want it to weigh less than 50 lbs. Well - I'm not so sure about that poundage - sounds a bit  hopeful, but the rest is all good.

I got the gig through the good people at the awesome Art From Scrap. Thanks guys!!


soooooo...

This is my store. This is where I pluck my materials from. How can you beet that?
(Answer...you can't but you can Corot it! AAAAAAAAAAHHH! I am so pleased with this one, not only that I caught my spelling faux pas but that I made a joke! I can be so un funny. Oh I am pleased).



I gave myself an extra challenge. To do the project in 10 days beginning New years eve. 

I've done 3 walks now to collect the plastic, the particulars of which I will go into later, but I've visited:

Jalama
A secrete private beach above above Bacaara
Ledbetter 

and I also have a bag of trash from my child and her dad who stopped to scavenge for me on their trip to SF. Thanks you guys!

I don't really know what to say at this point. I'm not panicking yet...I'm excited, and thats probably bad. 
I did some major cutting of large objects yesterday and am on my way to the studio now, but wanted to post this first. 

Today wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped - having been gifted with a vomiting child at 6 am, so I'm off to a slow start, but hey - it's life. There are obstacles. 


I'm going to quote a relative of mine now because I've been reading one of his books...I was anyhow...but i've misplaced it so it will have to  wait....




No comments:

Post a Comment